Cella & Rodriguez - Attorneys at Law

Municipal Court

If you are charged with a disorderly persons offensetraffic infractionmunicipal ordinance violation, or fish and wildlife ordinance violation you will likely have to appear in the New Jersey Municipal Court of the location where the violation occurred.  Municipal courts do not hear cases involving more serious crimes, known as indictable offenses or felonies.  These more serious charges are handled by the county prosecutor’s office in the criminal division of the applicable county superior court.  Notably, some cases that are initially transferred to superior court are subsequently remanded, or sent back down to the municipal court, for adjudication. This usually occurs when the prosecutor’s office agrees to downgrade the charges or decides there is insufficient evidence to proceed to a grand jury.